Tis been a month eh?! Hard to keep up at this stage. How is everyone doing? All good and healthy I hope. Still not vaccinated on my end, still not sure when that will happen. Work is mad busy, that’s all I really have for you all! That and my monthly reading wrap up, with a bit of a change!
I read 7 books in total. 1 graphic novel, 1 scifi and the rest being fantasy. One is a new fave! Books with ratings and reviews linked where possible include;
- The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison ★★★★★/5
- The City of Brass by S.A Chakraborty ★★★★/5
- Hummingbird Salamander by Jeff VanderMeer ★★★★.5/5
- The Killing Moon by N.K Jemisin ★★★★/5
- The Ikessar Falcon by K.S Villoso ★★★★.5/5
- Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch ★★★.5/5
- Monstress Volume 5: Warchild by Marjorie Liu& Sana Takeda ★★★★.5/5
So few reviews this month, mostly due to work stuff, but still a pretty good one! So glad I managed to sneak in Foxglove Summer at the end as well since that marks the end of my Rivers of London reread! Now I’m going in fresh to the rest of the series and aim to be up to date this year. Two things I am disappointed with but I intend to remedy this month, is not completing my minimum one Discworld novel a month and my reading the Incryptid series.
I did start Men At Arms, which is shaping up to be every bit as brilliant as everyone says, but my mood just wasn’t there. I am still currently reading it and will be finishing it this week. However I did balance things out by finishing a book I had started reading in February, which is The Killing Moon and that was excellent. Incryptid, I was aiming for one a month and I haven’t picked one up since April so if I get to one this month I’ll be glad.
Now for the difference! I’m reading single issue comics again now and I don’t count them to the GR goal so I will be wrapping them up here.
Comics read this month:
- The Dreaming: Waking Hours #1 by G. Willow Wilson, Nick Robles & Mat Lopes
- The Dreaming: Waking Hours #2 by G. Willow Wilson, Nick Robles & Mat Lopes
- The Dreaming: Waking Hours #3 by G. Willow Wilson, Nick Robles & Mat Lopes
- The Dreaming: Waking Hours #4 by G. Willow Wilson, Nick Robles & Mat Lopes
- The Dreaming: Waking Hours #5 by G. Willow Wilson, Nick Robles & Mat Lopes
So pretty much the first part of The Dreaming: Waking Hours! I started this series last year when it started but in typical me fashion, I’m missing some issues and it took me until now to read ones I have! This story is very different to the previous one, The Dreaming, in a lot of ways where it seems to be returning to a similar Sandman format, that Dream just exists on the periphery of a story about another. But it’s so much more tender and fluid as well, with some extra discussions of parenthood and if it truly is nature vs nurture. Sad it’s coming to a close now.
And there we have it, everything I read in June! Do let me know how you got on, I’d love to hear about it. Hope you’re all well and thanks for checking in. Happy reading!