Welcome back folks, hope you’re all having a good weekend! July come and gone, 2021 really picking up pace. So change to the usual line I have about vaccines, I finally got my first dose in July! As of writing this my second dose is in 2 weeks and I am so relieved that it’s finally a thing.
July was a busy month! Lots going on in work, with clearing out my old bedroom at home and just starting to be vaguely social again. But I did get a good many books read! July was Women in SFF month over at the Fantasy Hive and it was so much fun taking part! I managed to post for nearly every prompt over on my bookstagram and it did allow me to get 2 books read that were a long time on my shelf as well as continue two series I’ve been enjoying.
As last month, I’ll wrap up my single issue comics read separately to my books, just since I don’t count them to my reading goal. So the 9 books read with reviews linked included;
- Half-Off Ragnarok by Seanan McGuire ★★★/5
- Dragon Ball Super Volume 1: Warriors from Universe 6! ★★★★/5
- Kingdom of Copper by S.A Chakraborty ★★★★★/5
- Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente ★★★★/5
- Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett ★★★★★/5
- To Be Taught if Fortunate by Becky chambers ★★★★/5
- Fables Volume One: Legends in Exile ★★★.5/5
- Fables Volume Two: Animal Farm ★★★★/5
- An Unkindness of Magicians by Kat Howard ★★★★/5
So this was a fantastic reading month! I started a reread of the Fables comic book series which has been really comforting and enjoyable. I also picked up some manga for the first time in too long and Dragon Ball Super is truly a delight, even after it being a few decades since I watched any Dragon Ball.
I mentioned last month how I had wanted to get to the next book in the InCryptid series then but was happy with my Rivers of London progress. In a weird switcharoo, I did read the next book in the InCryptid series but this is the first month I didn’t move forward in the latter. This mostly is down to time and me not having the graphic novels to follow along with currently. I hope to catch up by next month.
Two spectacular stand outs this month was Deathless and An Unkindness of Magicians. A recurring theme this year for any backlist reads of mine is my feeling that I left it too long to finally read the books in question. Same applies to these two. Both were so good and likely are going to become new favourites so just shows that checking back on books on my TBR a long time is very worth it.
- Wonder Girl #1 &2 (Joelle Jones)
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D: The Secret of Chessboro House #1 (Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden, Shaun McManus)
- Batman Reptillian #1 (Garth Ennis & Liam Sharp)
- Rorschach #1 & 2 (Tom King & Jorge Fornes)
- Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1 (Tom King & Bilquis Evely)
- Justice League #64
- Justice League Infinity #1 (James Tucker, J.M. DeMatteis, Ethen Beavers)
- Monday, Monday: A Rivers of London Mystery #1 (Ben Aaronovitch, Andrew Cartmel, José María Beroy)
- The Dreaming: Waking Hours #6 (G.Willow Wilson & Nick Robles)
Stand out comics this month has to go to Rorschach, Wondergirl and Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow. It’s no coincidence that two are both expertly written by Tom King but it’s also the handling of both historically loved characters, the intriguing story lines and the potential for forthcoming issues that has me excited for them. Wonder Girl is a change to the Wonder Woman mythos and a welcome one in fact since it’s being handled perfectly by Joelle Jones. Also her art is amazing.
That was July! A pretty good month, hopefully August will be as good. Have you read any of these? Do tell me how your July went. Thanks for checking in as always and happy reading!