Welcome back everyone! Been a week of it, great for comics but a bit stressy for everything else. But comics are a huge balm to my soul so let’s celebrate that. This was a big week for comics, for both my haul and releases. Batman ’89 launching, Batman Urban Legends #6 with the coming out of Tim Drake and this years Free Comic Book day. Many comics! So without further ado, let’s crack on with what I picked up!
Graphic novels and trade paperbacks:
- Pretty Deadly Volume Two: The Bear (Kelly Sue Deconnick, Emma Rios)
- Blackbird Volume One: The Great Beast (Jen Bartel, Sam Humphries)
- Mister Miracle (Tom King, Mitch Gerads)
- Suicide Squad: Bad Blood (Tom Taylor, Bruno Redondo)
- The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman (Liam Sharp)
I am so excited with the trades I picked up this week. This coming week is my second vaccine dose (!!) and I booked some time off just in case so I’ll be prioritising a few of these for recovery reading. Most of all Tom Taylor’s Suicide Squad and Mister Miracle. Both come highly recommended from people I follow but also they have been on my radar for a while now.
- Batman ’89 (Joe Quinones, Sam Hamm)
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D: The Secret of Chesboro House #2 (Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden, Shaun McManus)
- Pennworth #1 (Scott Bryan Wilson, Juan Gedeon)
- Joker: Killer Smile #1 (Jeff Lemire, Andrea Sorrentino)
- Batgirl #41
- The Low, Low Woods #1 (Carmen Maria Machado, Joe Hill, Dan McDaid, Dani Strips)
- Batman Black & White #1
This week was a nice mix of back issues and new releases. I did pick up this copy of Batgirl solely for the Terry & Rachel Dodson variant cover. But getting a number one issue for both The Low, Low Woods and Batman Black and White was very cool since I almost never get that lucky when searching for back issues.
Batman ’89! So excited for this one! My favourite live action Batman movie and my founding love of comics and superheroes does stem from Tim Burton’s take on the iconic character so this will hopefully deliver on my hopes. Same for Pennyworth, since the show makes me all sorts of wary, I do want to see more of Alfred’s life before the Waynes.
So that’s this weeks comics, do tell me if you have any on your radar. Have you read Mister Miracle? Are you looking forward to Batman’89 continuing as a comic book series? Or should I read The Low, Low Woods and finally crack on the Joe Hill comics imprint? Do tell me or catch me on Twitter. Thanks for checking in guys! Happy reading!